Sad Discovery

Started by Chris Savage, Dec 17, 2024, 03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Savage

Quote from: JKnightandKARR on Oct 07, 2026, 02:58 PMI have the P2 and the Parallax IDE, my problem is, I stuggle to understand the programming language in there... Wish there was book to explain it like the P! has,

As far as I can tell, the documentation (online?) seems to still be under development. Back in the day there were so many people interested in the P1 that there was a larger support community and more example code. Not the same environment for the P2, sadly.

When you say, Parallax IDE, which software do you mean, exactly?

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

JKnightandKARR

Quote from: Chris Savage on Oct 07, 2026, 03:11 PM
Quote from: JKnightandKARR on Oct 07, 2026, 02:58 PMI have the P2 and the Parallax IDE, my problem is, I stuggle to understand the programming language in there... Wish there was book to explain it like the P! has,

As far as I can tell, the documentation (online?) seems to still be under development. Back in the day there were so many people interested in the P1 that there was a larger support community and more example code. Not the same environment for the P2, sadly.

When you say, Parallax IDE, which software do you mean, exactly?
STILL under development??...... You'd think this be a priority..... I use the same one as I do the P1 the Parallax Propeller Tool.

granz

When I was playing with the Prop 1, I used to use Brad's Spin Tool (BST).

It was not really supported, but since Parallax did not have any tools for Linux, they recommended that.

It worked decently, but I usually just used FemtoBASIC or PropBASIC, for quick-and-dirty development.

JKnightandKARR

Quote from: granz on Oct 07, 2026, 07:54 PMWhen I was playing with the Prop 1, I used to use Brad's Spin Tool (BST).

It was not really supported, but since Parallax did not have any tools for Linux, they recommended that.

It worked decently, but I usually just used FemtoBASIC or PropBASIC, for quick-and-dirty development.
https://downloads.parallax.com/propeller-1-software/
There's some on here that says Linux.

Chris Savage

Quote from: JKnightandKARR on Oct 07, 2026, 06:00 PMSTILL under development??...... You'd think this be a priority..... I use the same one as I do the P1 the Parallax Propeller Tool.

I based my comment on what I see on the forums. As for what's on the Propeller Support page, I had some difficulty finding information. After providing feedback to Parallax, the secondary landing page has been fixed. Here's what's there: Propeller 2 Documentation

Quote from: granz on Oct 07, 2026, 07:54 PMI used to use Brad's Spin Tool (BST). It was not really supported, but since Parallax did not have any tools for Linux, they recommended that.

Here is the current official landing page to Propeller 2 Software, however, in the forums, people like JonnyMac say that the Propeller Tool is not supported by P2. Those people are pointing to MaccaSoft Spin Tools IDE, which is not actually hosted by Parallax, but rather GitHub. It does seem to support Linux, MaxOS and Windows.

After getting clarification, I can confirm that the Propeller Tool supports the Propeller 1 just fine. So, for the time being, I shall continue using that. I have not (and probably will not) adopted the P2. Not really sure how long there will be support available and pricing is pretty high.

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

granz

Quote from: JKnightandKARR on Oct 07, 2026, 08:47 PMThere's some on here that says Linux.
Right, unfortunately, I have not done anything with the Propeller since about the time that Chris was pushed out. In fact, I have not even tried the Prop on my PPDB (which is in my Portable Development Kit Notebook) since then.


Quote from: Chris Savage on Oct 07, 2026, 09:09 PMHere is the current official landing page to Propeller 2 Software, however, in the forums, people like JonnyMac say that the Propeller Tool is not supported by P2. Those people are pointing to MaccaSoft Spin Tools IDE, which is not actually hosted by Parallax, but rather GitHub. It does seem to support Linux, MaxOS and Windows.
I never got one of the Prop 2 systems (not even the Prop itself.) It was too expensive, and I was turned off by the feature-creep bloat. I remember saying that Chip needs to just say "enough" and close the comments on the thing. If you never shut down the new ideas, not only will you never bring the product to market, you also will never have a Prop 3.

Chris Savage

Quote from: granz on Today at 06:50 AMI never got one of the Prop 2 systems (not even the Prop itself.) It was too expensive, and I was turned off by the feature-creep bloat. I remember saying that Chip needs to just say "enough" and close the comments on the thing. If you never shut down the new ideas, not only will you never bring the product to market, you also will never have a Prop 3.

Ironically, from a 3rd person perspective, that's what it seems like. People who have been using the P2 (early adopters) have been having issues that seem to relate to changes made to either the compiler or the language itself. I am not clear on the details, except to say that those comments indicate there are changes happening even now, or at least within the last year.

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

granz

Yuck!

I guess that I just have to miss out on Parallax stuff. As you implied earlier - it's a real pain to find any old stuff on their site. They seem to think that nothing existed more than a few months ago - even stuff that they made, and stuff that they wrote. "If it's old, just throw it away, or at least bury it somewhere on the site, and give no trail to find that old stuff again." >:(

Chris Savage

I'm glad that, while I was there, the old stuff was available on the website, or at least if you called in to Tech Support. There was an archive.

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

Jason D.

what are you looking for? I might have it...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk