Drill Dust Collector

Started by Chris Savage, Aug 08, 2026, 08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Savage

Drill Dust Collector

You cannot view this attachment.

I frequently drill holes to hang things. I usually am trying to hold my shop-vac under the drill bit so I can catch the dust falling onto the carpet. No more! This simple little gadget catches the dust for you with a small little tool that fits easily between two fingers.

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

granz

Nice, that looks like it could really keep small repair/upgrade work on the house cleaner.

Chris Savage

Quote from: granz on Aug 08, 2026, 09:18 PMNice, that looks like it could really keep small repair/upgrade work on the house cleaner.

I just used this tool to drill anchor holes for a few shelf units I hung up today. It worked quite well!

You cannot view this attachment.

This shelf unit was 3D printed and includes a drawer. It's used to hold my hot-air gun and hot glue gun. The drawer holds the glue sticks.



You cannot view this attachment.

I 3D printed two of these shelves some time ago. I finally got them hung and started putting smaller 3D prints up on them for display.



You cannot view this attachment.

As you can see, they're not full yet, but I have more prints laying around that need to be put up.

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

JKnightandKARR

Whatever works. lol Personally, I just make a mess.

Chris Savage

@granz not sure if you saw my reply above, but if you do happen to print / try this, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.  8)

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

granz

Yeah, it does look useful. However, with us looking to move sometime soon (hopefully within the next 6 - 12 months,) I'm reluctant to put any more holes in the walls. That is the reason that I have not built those shelves for my filament.

That said, I will probably print one, or two, of those when we get into our new house. I imagine that I will need/want a lot of shelves (along with these handicap handrails) in the new house:


Chris Savage

Quote from: granz on Sep 22, 2026, 11:22 AMI will probably print one, or two, of those when we get into our new house.

I just wanted to share my experience using it several times now. There are a handful of prints that turned out to be excellent tools for me and used very little filament.

You cannot view this attachment.

By the way, I thought you might appreciate this Ohm's Law Coaster.  ;)

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

granz

Yeah, that is pretty cool. My current Ohm's Law plaque is sitting in my office, next to my A-1, it should really be hung up somewhere.


I currently use a Z-80 coaster that I bought at Tandy Assembly 24:

granz

I just printed one:


It turned out pretty well, and so I am printing up several more - two for each of my kids who own their home. We are going to meet some of our kids for Conner's birthday party (he turns one tomorrow,) and I am giving these out to those that own their own homes.


Chris Savage

Quote from: granz on Today at 09:11 AMI just printed one. I am giving these out to those that own their own homes.

Very useful tool IMHO. This post just reminded me that I meant to turn on my printers this morning, but forgot.  :-[

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

granz

Bummer! I've taken to leaving my printers up, and running, unless there are storms in the area. Although, I still haven't installed the Bambu app ::)  - at least the printer is ready in case I decide to try it.

Chris Savage

Quote from: granz on Today at 10:30 AMBummer! I've taken to leaving my printers up, and running, unless there are storms in the area.

Now that cooler weather is coming, I probably will. Through the summer it can get up to 80° in there, so I tend to keep the printers and PC shut down when I am not using them / overnight.

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

JKnightandKARR

Quote from: Chris Savage on Today at 01:57 PM
Quote from: granz on Today at 10:30 AMBummer! I've taken to leaving my printers up, and running, unless there are storms in the area.

Now that cooler weather is coming, I probably will. Through the summer it can get up to 80° in there, so I tend to keep the printers and PC shut down when I am not using them / overnight.
Ok, gotta ask. Why leave them up n runnimg??

granz

For me, leaving the printers up and running is so that if I want to print something from somewhere else, it is ready for the job.

As far as leaving my computer up, I used to (not set up with my StarLink, yet) remote in to Nyota (my communications server) and from there, I could ssh into any of my other computers. Also, most damage to any electrical/electronic system is during the inrush of current. Leaving my computers up cuts down on those troubles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk