Build A Better Mousetrap [LEGACY]

Started by Chris Savage, Feb 17, 2024, 12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Savage

This BASIC Stamp 2 powered mousetrap can catch rodents live and alert you when one has been caught! You can then safely relocate the furry little critters.



CLICK HERE TO GO TO THIS PROJECT ON THE SAVAGE///CIRCUITS WEBSITE

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

Chris Savage

So, I think I am very close to having this published. I should know by Monday. In the meantime, there's some irony. We've been invaded by mice! Little bastards have gotten into places we didn't think possible. So now I need to prioritize the other traps (and make some extras).

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

JKnightandKARR

Quote from: Chris Savage on Sep 12, 2026, 08:38 PMSo, I think I am very close to having this published. I should know by Monday. In the meantime, there's some irony. We've been invaded by mice! Little bastards have gotten into places we didn't think possible. So now I need to prioritize the other traps (and make some extras).
I can I get one with mice tracking ability and laser sighted gun??  I HATE mice!!  Killed my cat Midnight!.... Poor Nighters had flees soo bad, they stopped bothering her.... Beverly Hills for the lil bastards....

Chris Savage

Quote from: JKnightandKARR on Sep 26, 2026, 10:20 PMI can I get one with mice tracking ability and laser sighted gun??  I HATE mice!!  Killed my cat Midnight!.... Poor Nighters had flees soo bad, they stopped bothering her.... Beverly Hills for the lil bastards....

Obviously, I hate mice. Outside, they can go on with their lives.


But when they enter my home, all bets are off. V3 of the mousetrap has a kill option. Stay tuned.


                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

granz

Quote from: Chris Savage on Sep 27, 2026, 09:32 PMObviously, I hate mice. Outside, they can go on with their lives.

But when they enter my home, all bets are off. V3 of the mousetrap has a kill option. Stay tuned.
But, does it have mice tracking ability and laser sighted gun? ;D

Jeff_T

Setting the mice free after capture is a humane thing to do. I certainly don't like the glue traps a slow death does not seem right to me I have even had spring traps that don't kill the mouse imediately.

The worst mistake I made was installing a speaker system in a bedroom and dropping the wires down between the sheetrock, I did not caulk the holes in the roof space and a mouse crawled down the hole and could not get back out. It eventually died and the smell was awful, I ended up cutting a hole in the sheetrock and retrieving the corpse. I make sure to caulk the holes ever since. I had a similar thing happen in a vehicle, the mouse crawled into the cab fan and died instantly but the odor was horrendous, another corpse retrieval was needed.

Chris Savage

Quote from: Jeff_T on Today at 10:31 AMThe worst mistake I made was installing a speaker system in a bedroom and dropping the wires down between the sheetrock, I did not caulk the holes in the roof space and a mouse crawled down the hole and could not get back out. It eventually died and the smell was awful, I ended up cutting a hole in the sheetrock and retrieving the corpse. I make sure to caulk the holes ever since.

If you follow the link in the top post to the main website article, you 'll see why I designed the trap to be a non-kill trap. Don't eat before reading that.  :-X  Ironically, we recently had one die inside a wall in our living room. This was at the beginning of summer. We don't know exactly where, so we couldn't get it out. The stench was horrible for several months, especially on hot days.

I posted the video of the mouse, because I thought it ironic that just as I was going to publish the article, we got invaded. The the video, that disc object is a D-Con trap, though the mouse avoided it completely. I guess it goes without saying, I am expediting the rebuild of the V2 Mousetrap.  ::)

                     Bringing concepts to life through engineering.

JKnightandKARR

Quote from: Jeff_T on Today at 10:31 AMSetting the mice free after capture is a humane thing to do. I certainly don't like the glue traps a slow death does not seem right to me I have even had spring traps that don't kill the mouse imediately.

The worst mistake I made was installing a speaker system in a bedroom and dropping the wires down between the sheetrock, I did not caulk the holes in the roof space and a mouse crawled down the hole and could not get back out. It eventually died and the smell was awful, I ended up cutting a hole in the sheetrock and retrieving the corpse. I make sure to caulk the holes ever since. I had a similar thing happen in a vehicle, the mouse crawled into the cab fan and died instantly but the odor was horrendous, another corpse retrieval was needed.
We all have our own ideas, personally, I'd have rather kept Midnight for while longer, then her dying in my arms from whatever she got from the flee's from the mice..

Jeff_T

@JKnightandKARR  I had a cat named Jasper who passed 6 years ago at the age of 18. When I took him home as a kitten I never thought I would ever bond with a cat but Jasper was incredible ( a good mouse catcher BTW )I have so many stories, like the time he got into it with a skunk.

When he died it devastated me, it is one of the most emotional losses I have ever experienced. Maybe him and Midnight will get together sometime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk